Δευτέρα 5 Ιουνίου 2017

MEGADETH – So Far, So Good…So What! Review




MEGADETH – So Far, So Good…So What!
Capitol Records
This album I think is why I stopped listening to MEGADETH for the longest time without trying other platters that they laid out, including their latest release “Dystopia.” It’s really flat-production sounding and riffs that are just stale. It’s not nearly as good as “Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying?”, I think that they really failed on this one. I’ve come to the same conclusion numerous times around trying to get to like it but not being able to do so.

But what’s so wrong with it? Aside from the production, the riffs just aren’t very catchy or commemorative of MEGADETH, they sold themselves short with this follow-up. I mean they did do good with THE SEX PISTOLS cover, but they lack in innovation and noteworthiness. I think it’s way overrated with this one, I can’t see why it’s rated so high. It really bored the hell out of me. These guys could’ve done a lot better. They just didn’t seem to get the riff writing out of the garbage.

There just is no oomph to the record, it lacks having any balls. Dave didn’t spend enough time as he usually does with releases. I guess he figured that since the previous was so well liked, he didn’t need to prove himself more with this. Why do I harp on this effort so much though? Well because the songwriting was just so lame, not the leads but the main guitars. They just didn’t do anything for me. Again, on repeated listens to, I arrive and the same agreement that I have on this one.

So if it’s that bad, why do so many people like it? Well mainly because of the name maybe and they felt that the music was good enough to give an “A” or “B” rating. But to ex-guitarists like me, I listen to the riffs the most and pay attention to the flat production. I know that it was still in the 80’s where technology was lacking, but still, they should’ve really tried harder to get the songs together and make more sense out of their riff-writing. It would’ve done them a lot of good.

Still not convinced since it’s MEGADETH I’m talking about? Just YouTube the album and you’ll maybe hear that flat production and boring guitar work. I don’t think that any of the songs were worthy of mention, just that cover. Dave sounds pretty whiny on here too. MEGADETH still has some great albums, just not this one. If you decide to pick it up, caveat emptor. I warned you so don’t complain if it’s not up to your standards as well. This one was a total dud.


Ryan  “Death8699”  Fanucchi

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: