Τρίτη 22 Αυγούστου 2017

SWEEPING DEATH – Astoria EP Review




SWEEPING DEATH – Astoria EP
    iGrooveNext.com
I was never font of the term progressive. It sounds to me a bit arrogant and most of the times when it is used in music, it has nothing to do with progress. Most of the times the progressive sound in my mind is equal to musical show off or even wore to musical masturbation. I respect that there is a part of people who like these kinds of things, but personally it bores me to death. On the other hand I love innovative music. I like musicians that play a certain kind of music and give it more depth and make it more interesting; the musicians that give you the sense that you listen to something familiar and yet fresh. In my opinion SWEEPING DEATH belong to this category.

The band might come from Germany, but musically they are closer to the U.S. metal and in general the American metal sound. The band plays thrash metal or if I want to be more accurate the basis of their sound is thrash metal, but instead of being restricted by this sound, they manage to expand it. They blend their sound with influences from the specter of traditional heavy and power metal and they also have some classical or neoclassical metal influences if you prefer. The transition or the blending of the genres comes so naturally and really gives depth and variety to the compositions. I think that towards this their skills as musicians also help. Although they are very technical they do it in a way that can be easily received by the audience that has not a deep knowledge of the music theory. So, their innovative thrash metal sound is both melodic and dynamic and of course has their own personal touch, but of course there can be comparisons with such bands like ANNIHILATOR, MEGADETH and TOURNIQUET.

The “Astoria” EP is an album that I can recommend easily both to people that are into thrash metal, but also to fans of traditional heavy/power metal. It is a release that you can listen to easily and each time you will listen to it you will discover more things. It is one of the most original works that I have listened to lately in the thrash metal sound.


Nick “Verkaim” Parastatidis

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: